‘He was crying’ – Pochettino reveals talks with stricken Man United star Shaw

first_img1 Luke Shaw Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has revealed he spoke to his former player Luke Shaw after he suffered a double leg fracture on Tuesday.The left-back sustained the horror injury during Manchester United’s 2-1 Champions League defeat to PSV and is facing six months on the sidelines.Pochettino worked with the England international during his time at Southampton and he has revealed he phoned the youngster on Wednesday morning to offer his support.“It is difficult, I spoke with him this morning. He is much better today but it is always difficult with this type of injury,” said Pochettino.“I only give my support and wish him a speedy recovery, but now he must only think about the recovery.“Always it is difficult, he was crying. It’s normal, you can understand after the big injury that was yesterday – not only because of the pain but everything around it.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

Liverpool team to play Southampton: ‘Are you kidding, Klopp?!’ Reds fans react to controversial selection

first_imgFor his first Premier League game in charge of Liverpool at Anfield, against Southampton, Jurgen Klopp named an unchanged side from his first league match away to Spurs.The German’s arrival has been met with almost universal acclaim from Liverpool fans, but his team selection for the visit of Saints left some supporters frustrated.With Daniel Sturridge and Danny Ings out injured, Klopp is short on firepower, but his decision to start Divock Origi ahead of Christian Benteke, despite the latter still returning to full fitness, was met with derision in some quarters.So much so, that some Reds fans are even more optimistic looking at the bench than they are at the starting line up.Have a read of the best reactions to Klopp’s XI versus the Saints below. 1 Liverpool fans ask Jurgen Klopp ‘are you kidding me?’ as this player starts again last_img read more

Continue Reading

Spurs star Alli a certainty to be in England’s Euro 2016 squad after France display – Coral Daily Download

first_imgDave Stevens joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.The Coral spokesman looks at the contenders for Euro 2016 glory after Sweden and Ukraine became the last two teams to book their spot at the finals.Hosts France are 7/2 joint favourites with world champions Germany, while Spain are 11/2, Belgium are 11/1 and England are priced at 12/1.He also reveals Tottenham youngster Dele Alli is now just 4/6 to be in the England squad for the finals after his man of the match display in Tuesday’s friendly win over France.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfastlast_img read more

Continue Reading

Pochettino responds to link with Chelsea managerial job

first_img1 Mauricio Pochettino insists he is focused on succeeding Tottenham amid links with the Chelsea job.Guus Hiddink is currently interim manager at Stamford Bridge following the departure of Jose Mourinho last month.But Chelsea have drawn up a shortlist of possible candidates to take over in the summer – and Pochettino is said to be on it.But the Argentinian, who was appointed Spurs manager in May 2014 following a successful spell in charge at Southampton, says he is happy in his current position.He said: “It’s the same with any rumours about players, there’s a lot of names in the media now.“My focus is here, to try for success at Tottenham and to work hard. That’s all about rumours.“I don’t mind, we are supposed to receive the rumours and we are in a media that all is about rumours.“But I don’t care about that. I always work for the present and the future.“I’m very happy here. We’ve created after 18 months a very good group, with a strong basis for success in the future and I’m very happy.“My job is to be focused, not to hear rumours. The most important thing is that I’m focused on my job.” Mauricio Pochettino last_img read more

Continue Reading

Westlake Village mom turns baking skill into profitable business

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat Kings“I was growing too fast by word of mouth. Then I had to make the decision. Do I do it as a hobby or cross that line?” One year ago this month, the Westlake Village entrepreneur opened For Heavens Cakes – which has grown into a fantastically successful business serving clients nationwide. But running the Thousand Oaks bakery is no cakewalk. Donahue says she devotes up to 18 hours a day to keep it running smoothly and make the customers happy. At times, it means missing her sons’ soccer games or not being able to tuck them in at night. Still, Kelley, 10, and Cameron, 9, are her biggest fans, bragging to friends at school that Mom owns a bakery. “I tell them, `If it wasn’t for you two little monkeys, I wouldn’t have been housebound and been inspired to bake a cake,”‘ said the single mom. “It’s all because of them. This will be their business one day.” The 38-year-old baker picked up her first spatula at the age of 6 baking cookies and banana bread for her girlfriends. At the age of 28, she found herself at home with two boys, ages 1 and 2, bored and craving sweets. So she put her apron on and began tinkering with cake recipes, giving birth to what would become her best-seller: the Chocolate Bomb. Within months, she was running an at-home cake company from orders she gathered at play dates and get-togethers with friends. Roseann Bleiweiss of Calabasas encouraged her friend to start her own business. “Her cakes are so different from everything else. A slither of a piece makes you feel like you’ve eaten a whole cake … They’re so rich. “She slowly built her business by word of mouth. She’s a real inspiration for moms everywhere.” Her biggest boost came from friends who work for Statement Calabasas Magazine and introduced her sweets to celebrities. Then came the calls from restaurants, hotels and other shops ordering her chocolate, carrot, marble and lemon cakes. She opened For Heavens Cakes at 804 Thousand Oaks Blvd., in Heritage Plaza, and celebrated the store’s first birthday in November. Located next to a bridal gown store, the shop has a stylish look with a private tasting room decked out in pink for brides- and grooms-to-be. Donahue’s bakery also features mini cakes and cake bites – miniature versions of her cake line, which includes a selection of about 20 cakes. She has started to ship her cakes nationwide from orders she gets on the Internet and she hopes to one day open a chain of For Heavens Cakes. “I don’t sleep anymore,” she said laughing. “I need a vacation.” “I thought I was going to be a stay-at-home mom forever. You just don’t know what life is going to give you. To me it gave chocolate.” Visit For Heavens Cakes at www.forheavenscakes.com. angie.valencia@dailynews.com (818) 713-3699160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! THOUSAND OAKS – Lisa Donahue was a stay-at-home mom with a sweet tooth and too many disappointing experiences with chocolate cake. “I kept trying to find a chocolate cake to satisfy me. I couldn’t find it,” she said. “I thought, `I’ll just make it myself.”‘ Her quest for the perfect chocolate cake propelled her into the bakery business, starting in her own kitchen at home. “It snowballed,” Donahue said. “I was producing 100 cakes out of my house. Then I had Nordstrom knocking on my door. last_img
Continue Reading

HOTEL LAUNCHES ‘IMF SPECIAL’!

first_imgTWO of Donegal’s most famous hotels are taking the financial crisis in their stride – by launching an ‘IMF’ special rate.The offer with a recession-busting twist is on offer over the next few days at The Abbey Hotel and The Central Hotel in Donegal Town.The hotels are offering two nights bed and breakfast for just 40 euro per person sharing. They are also offering dinner for an extra 20 euro.The stay offer also includes use of the hotel’s gym, sauna and swimming pool!More details are available at www.abbeyhoteldonegal.com.HOTEL LAUNCHES ‘IMF SPECIAL’! was last modified: December 1st, 2010 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Continue Reading

TD CHARLIE: VAN CLAMPDOWN WILL LEAD TO JOB LOSSES

first_imgDonegal North East TD Charlie McConalogue has called on the Minister for Finance Michael Noonan to adopt a common sense approach to the use of commercially registered vehicles for private purposes.Deputy McConalogue said today: “There is real concern among the public following recent reports of a clampdown on people using commercially registered vehicles outside of work hours.“Self-employed people who are finding things tight at the moment don’t need the added stress of constantly worrying that their vehicles may be seized. I have written to the Minister asking that he clarify the position and ensure that a common sense approach is adopted. “When this first became an issue last year, a public commitment was secured from then Minister for Environment John Gormley who stated that the occasional use of commercially registered vehicles, to bring children to school, travel to church or transport groceries should not bring motorists into conflict with the law.“However we now seem to be in a position where there is once again confusion over this and it is vital that the Minister for Finance makes the position clear.“Many people who have commercially registered vehicles for their business are understandably concerned that they may soon be forced to register their vehicles as private, in order to use them for any task outside of work. This could see many already financially stretched people having to consider selling their vehicle due to the high cost of registering it as private. If people are forced to do this in the current market, they would inevitably have to accept a knock down price.“This is not an acceptable scenario. Putting people in a position where they may be forced to make a call between taxing their commercial vehicle as private or selling it simply doesn’t make sense,” concluded Deputy McConalogue. Also hit in the clampdown have been a number of van drivers with Northern-registered vehicles which they use for work – and then to travel home to Donegal after work.They have had them seized by Customs.endsTD CHARLIE: VAN CLAMPDOWN WILL LEAD TO JOB LOSSES was last modified: April 13th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Continue Reading

Galatasaray to hijack West Ham’s pursuit of Norwegian defensive midfield star

first_img Ex-Arsenal academy graduate Havard Nordtveit is on West Ham’s radar Galatasaray are trying to hijack West Ham’s plans to sign Norwegian defensive midfielder Havard Nordtveit, claim reports in Turkey.The former Arsenal academy player has excelled in the Bundesliga since he joined Borussia Monchengladbach 2011 and is now being tipped for a return to the Premier League with West Ham .But, according to Lig TV, Gala have established contact with Nordtveit’s representatives and are trying to persuade them to listen to what they have to offer.However, West Ham remain favourites to land Nordtveit on a free transfer after the player recently stated his intention to join a Premier League team when he leaves Monchengladbach at the end of this season. 1last_img read more

Continue Reading

WATCH: Villarreal’s two goals as they warm up for Liverpool clash with win

first_img1 Tune in to talkSPORT 2 for all the latest La Liga news and top match commentaryVillarreal warmed up for their Europa League semi-final second leg with Liverpool by beating Valencia at Mestalla on Sunday.El Submarino Amarillo won the first leg of their clash with the Reds by a 1-0 scoreline, and they will go into the game in great spirits after winning 2-0 against a poor Valenica side.Samuel Garcia netted the opener, and Adrian Lopez – who scored the winner against Liverpool – grabbed the second, securing all three points for a much changed starting XI.You can watch both goals below… Adrian Lopez celebrates scoring Villarreal’s second goal last_img read more

Continue Reading

Roma enter race to sign Arsenal and Liverpool defensive target

first_img Raphael Guerreiro has scored three goals and provided two assists for Lorient this season 1 Arsenal and Liverpool target Raphael Guerreiro is now being hotly pursued by Roma, according to reports in Italy.The Lorient left-back has been scouted by the two Premier League sides on numerous occasions this season, with Arsenal set to swoop for the 22-year-old if Kieran Gibbs departs this summer.However, according to Calcio Mercato, Roma have also been monitoring Guerreiro’s progress this term and will submit an offer if they fail to persuade Lucas Digne to join them permanently from Paris Saint-Germain.Guerreiro’s contract at Lorient expires at the end of next season and the French club are prepared to cash in on him this summer rather than lose him on a free in 2017.The attacking Portuguese full-back has enjoyed an impressive campaign in Ligue 1, scoring three goals and providing two assists in 39 appearances.last_img read more

Continue Reading