Bernal takes Tour yellow as hailstorm stops stage

first_imgColombian Egan Bernal was catapulted into the overall lead of the Tour de France in dramatic circumstances on Friday as the 19th stage of the race, effectively the penultimate stage, was stopped early because of a hail storm.Team Ineos rider Bernal, who began the day a minute and a half behind, had overhauled France’s Julian Alaphilippe during the climb up the Col de L’Iseran.Alaphilippe began eating back into the lead with a brilliant descent, only to be told to stop riding after organisers called the race off because of the dangerous conditions ahead.There was confusion on the roads initially, as the riders were descending in ideal conditions, but up ahead even the use of bulldozers was unable to make the road safe, while a small landslide also made conditions hazardous.The race timings were taken from the top of Col de L’Iseran and unofficial timings give Bernal a lead of 45 seconds going into Saturday’s final mountain stage, as he seeks to become the first Colombian to win the Tour.Team Ineos sports director Nicolas Portal said: “We had the race in our hands and Egan would have liked to ride the last climb but the riders’ safety comes first, ASO (organisers) did a great job.“We wanted to smash it today and the guys were super-motivated. It would have been ideal if the race could have continued because even if he had reduced the gap in the descent, Julian would have suffered in the last ascent.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

West Point ETU under Renovation for School Building

first_imgWest Point Township’s controversial Ebola Treatment Unit (ETU) which was used to admit suspected Ebola patients during the height of the outbreak is under renovation to be used as a school campus.When our reporter visited West Point Township yesterday Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Department of Children and Family (DCF), Victor Fiayah, said DCF, a non-governmental organization (NGO), is responsible for the renovation of the N.V. Massaquoi Elementary, Junior, and Senior High school.According to him, the school is being renovated with funding from DCF and partners, including the United Nations Mission on Ebola Emergency Response (UNMEER) and is expected to be completed in 19 days.Fiayah said the DCF is equipped with professional workers who are capable of completing the project.  “The facility,” he said, “has already been disinfected before the renovation work began, and will again be disinfected before the commencement of classes.”The DCF has since the outbreak last year, created awareness in various counties about the danger of the Ebola virus and has encouraged community dwellers to take the necessary safety and preventive measures.He said the DCF is presently operating in several counties, including Montserrado, Rivergee, Grand Bassa, Grand Gedeh, Maryland, Sinoe and Bomi, implementing other projects.He has meanwhile commended the international partners who provided funding to DCF to reconstruct the damaged school facility. The N.V. Massaquoi School was established in 2013 to build student capacities through vocational and classroom education.It may be called that the school was used as a place to keep suspected Ebola patients, and if confirmed, were later taken to basic treatment centers. As a result of the decision, some of the residents became disgruntled and angrily broke into the building; took away items that belonged to suspected patients at the time. In reaction, the government unprecedentedly quarantined the entire West Point for 21 days, a situation that led to rioting which resulted in the death of 16-year old Shakie Kamara as well as wounding Titus Nuahn.The unit was also stormed by suspected criminals who reportedly made away with important health-related items, including mattresses of Ebola patients during the height of the virus.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Continue Reading

Morneau unveils principles for Indigenous ownership in Trans Mountain pipeline

first_imgCALGARY, A.B. – Finance Minister Bill Morneau says the government remains committed to putting the Trans Mountain pipeline and its proposed expansion back in private hands as he unveiled four principles for including Indigenous groups in those discussions.But he says timing and details of the sale of the pipeline depends on when it is “de-risked” and therefore can’t be determined until consultations now underway with affected Indigenous groups are completed.The minister says discussions of potential Indigenous ownership could proceed if the communities would have “meaningful economic participation”, if the deal can proceed in the spirit of reconciliation, and if the resulting entity works to the benefit of all Canadians and on a commercial basis.- Advertisement -Morneau is in Calgary to promote last week’s federal budget. His next stops are in Vancouver and Edmonton.Chanting and honking horns could be heard from a large gathering of pro-pipeline picketers across the street from the Fairmont Palliser hotel while Morneau spoke to the Economic Club of Canada.In his speech, he said Ottawa realizes that resource-dependent provinces like Alberta have different economic challenges than others and vowed to continue to implement measures that encourage confidence and optimism.Advertisement “We’ve been very clear that we see the importance of getting our resources to international markets. We’ve also been very clear that the only way these projects can get done is if they’re done in the right way,” he said.“I hope and expect that Albertans will see that we’re comporting ourselves in the way we need to in the face of getting a project done.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

New elephant exhibit still on track

first_imgA city report last year said the elephants were well cared for but needed more space. This year, the city approved a 3.5-acre exhibit projected to cost $39 million, plus $8.5 million in debt service. Animal activists who predicted Gita’s death from what they said were zoo-related ailments said it was time to transfer the zoo’s two remaining elephants – Ruby, 45, and Billy, 21 – to a sanctuary. “It’s time to close the exhibit,” said Melya Kaplan, founder of Voice for the Animals, an L.A. Zoo watchdog and advocacy group. “How many elephants have to die before we understand that the zoo cannot take care of elephants?” Chris DeRose, an activist who has locked himself in the elephant exhibit a half-dozen times to protest conditions at the zoo, hopes for a city referendum on the elephant exhibit. His group, Last Chance for Animals, prepared to conduct a citywide poll on whether the elephants should stay or go. “We knew that the elephant was going to die. We’ve been saying for three years that Gita was going to die,” DeRose said. “They all need to go to a sanctuary.” On Wednesday, activists plan to perform Hindu last rites in front of the zoo to release Gita’s soul “for a future life.” Gita’s necropsy began Saturday afternoon at the California Animal Health & Food Safety Laboratory System in San Bernardino. The system, run by the University of California, Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine, employed three pathologists working in a refrigerated post-mortem room. “We will examine in detail the muscular-skeletal and nervous system to try to determine why she wouldn’t get up on her rear legs,” UCD pathologist Deryck Read told the Associated Press. “The second objective is to determine the cause of death.” Zoo officials said they expected to release the results of the necropsy. dana.bartholomew@dailynews.com (818) 713-3730160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Ignoring calls to close its elephant exhibit following the sudden death of Gita, the Los Angeles Zoo pressed forward Monday with plans to build a $40 million pachyderm exhibit. While animal rights critics charged poor conditions at the zoo contributed to Gita’s death on Saturday, pathologists said determining what killed the beloved, 48-year-old Asian pachyderm could take weeks. Her death comes amid an ambitious plan to revamp the zoo’s elephant exhibit, which officials said would continue. “We still plan on moving forward with the new elephant exhibit,” zoo spokesman Jason Jacobs said. “The new Pachyderm Forest is going to be a great exhibit. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2“This exhibit is being built for future generations.” Gita died Saturday morning after she was found sitting on her haunches with her back legs tucked beneath her. A zoo favorite and veteran of the old Griffith Park Zoo before she was walked to the new Los Angeles Zoo in 1966, Gita was one of three elephants at the Los Angeles Zoo. The 8,000-pound elephant had arthritis and a history of foot ailments, undergoing surgery last year to remove parts of her front left toe. Tara, a 39-year-old African elephant, died of heart failure at the zoo in 2004. last_img read more

Continue Reading

Laurence McMullan short-listed for Ulster GAA Coach of the Year Award

first_imgST MARY’S, Convoy, manager Laurence McMullan has been short-listed for the Translink Ulster GAA Coach of the Year Award.McMullan is one of nine nominees – and you can help aid his bid to win.This year, McMullan guided St Mary’s to promotion into Division 2 of the All-County League. The Translink Ulster GAA Coach of the Year Award is designed to recognise those coaches who, through exceptional commitment to the teaching and development of Gaelic games, put players, club and community first.Following a call for nominations, a record number of submissions were received from clubs across the province. The standard was exceptionally high and reinforced the incredible standard of coaching and level of commitment which is on display on training fields across Ulster.The panel of judges including Down Manager Paddy Tally and Irish News Sports Correspondent, Neil Loughran, had the difficult task of selecting a shortlist. After much deliberation, they have chosen one worthy finalist from each county in the province.  CLICK HERE TO CAST YOUR VOTELaurence McMullan short-listed for Ulster GAA Coach of the Year Award was last modified: November 13th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Continue Reading

Designer recreating famous stadiums for table football

first_imgA graphic designer is turning famous stadiums into smaller-scale models for table football and selling them to clients around the world.Martin Setula, from Argentina, makes the stadiums fit into classic football tables so that fans can play the game in their home ground.They’re being bought by everyone from football fans to well known players including ex-Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez.Even Malaysian Prince Tunku Ismail Idris had one made to order of his favourite team’s stadium.Martin Setula ships around the world from his Buenos Aires workshop AP Building a football table with the same design as a well-known stadium takes him at least a week and the price depends on the difficulty of the structure.Mr Setula, who’s project is called “Superclasico”, wanted to make something unique and hand-crafted.After he made the first prototype, he was contacted by football managers, players, athletes and even politicians who wanted their own models and the business has gone from strength to strength.Sheffield Wednesday purchased a tiny version of their stadium. Martin SetulaAfter three years in the job, Setula says the best thing about making football tables is that they bring joy to people from all different backgrounds from all over the globe. Spain’s Real Madrid, Mexico’s Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz and England’s Sheffield Wednesday are some of the teams who’ve purchased tiny versions of their stadiums.Martin said: “There’s a little child inside of us. The scope of a football table is so wide because there is no age, there is no sex, no religion, there is no politics, there is no language, we all play and we all have fun.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

Scotland’s Rugby Sevens squad named for Commonwealth Games

first_imgThe head coach said: “The challenge for this group will be how well we can come together over the next few days and weeks, to give ourselves the best opportunity to be competitive for Team Scotland at the Gold Coast Games.“To represent Team Scotland in a Commonwealth Games is a huge honour for everyone involved and I’d like to thank Glasgow Warriors and Edinburgh Rugby for their continued support, insuring we have assembled our country’s leading sevens exponents.“It is great to welcome back some of Scotland’s leading talent, who have previously represented Scotland 7s and have developed into top 15-a-side players and combine them with our elite, core-sevens players, who have been competing on the World Series.”The 13-man squad is made up of seven core Scotland 7s squad players (capt Scott Riddell, Jamie Farndale, James Fleming, Nyle Godsmark, Gavin Lowe, Max McFarland and Joe Nayacavou) supplemented by two players from Edinburgh (Glenn Bryce and Darcy Graham) and four from Glasgow Warriors (Matt Fagerson, George Horne, Ruaridh Jackson and Lee Jones). The Team Scotland Rugby Sevens squad has been announced for the 2018 Commonwealth Games at the Gold Coast.Commonwealth Games Scotland revealed the 13-man line-up which completed Team Scotland’s total of 224 athletes headed for Australia.The Scots will depart for Hong Kong next week to compete in the seventh leg of the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series before travelling to the Gold Coast to compete in the Commonwealth Games.John Dalziel’s side will face Papua New Guinea, Malaysia and South Africa in Pool A, from which the top-placed team will progress to the semi-finals for a chance to take home a medal.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Football Talk: Rangers eye Collins, Celtic’s Ayew link

first_imgSteven Gerrard’s mission to build from the back at Rangers is proving an arduous one.A move for number one target Martin Skrtel is seemingly dead in the water, while a second bid for Brighton stopper Connor Goldson is reported to have been thrown out by the Seagulls.The Light Blues look to have quickly moved down their wish list, though.Gerrard wants to bring in an experienced head to shore up a leaky defence and is now said to have circled the name of James Collins as the man to carry out the task. Instead, the Parkhead club are apparently keen on adding to their attack, with a close friend of Swansea forward Jordan Ajew suggesting Celtic are “seriously interested” in the Ghanaian.Meanwhile, Scotland boss Alex McLeish has called on FIFA to enforce call-ups for friendly fixtures after his squad was decimated by six drop-outs. The veteran Welsh defender was released by West Ham on Friday so would be available on a free transfer.Across Glasgow it’s a case of outgoing centre-halves, rather than incoming, for Celtic.Danish defender Erik Sviatchenko spent the second half of last season back in his homeland on loan at Midtjylland.According to reports, the 26-year-old is now poised to make the move back to Denmark a permanent one.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Shades of Gray: NC’s Death Row Ages While Sentences Decline

first_imgNorth Carolina’s death row is aging with almost half of inmates facing a death sentence now 50 years or older.On top of that, 75 percent of them were sentenced more than 15 years ago.Gretchen Engel, executive director of The Center for Death Penalty Litigation, says the older inmate population presents a quandary for the justice system.“Death row is on its way to becoming a memory-care unit,” she states. “We have an older and older and more infirmed population on death row.“So then there’s the question of when you execute someone 25 years after the crime, is that really what the death penalty is for?”Engel says many of the men and women serving time on death row aren’t likely to ever face execution and at the time of many of their trials, the law forced prosecutors to go after the death penalty in almost every first-degree murder case, even when they believed the circumstances called for mercy or there were questions of innocence.Engel says maintaining an aging population on North Carolina’s death row has its own complications.On top of that, she says, there’s the mandated legal costs.“Instead of the death penalty, we have death by incarceration,” she points out. “And so we’re keeping people on death row at a high level of security. The real costs come in with the ongoing litigation.”While the population grows older, this year the number of new death sentences is declining.In 2017 juries in Wake, Granville and Guilford counties all chose life without parole instead of death.North Carolina has not had an execution since 2006.last_img read more

Continue Reading

SA freediver wins Nordic Deep 2008

first_img29 August 2008Cape Town-based freediver Hanli Prinsloo excelled in the Nordic Deep Freediving Competion held recently off the west coast of Sweden, winning the competition and setting four new South African records in the process.Freediving is the sport of diving deep for as long, or as far, as possible on one single breath of air.Prinsloo first improved her mark in Free Immersion, which is a depth discipline where the diver pulls herself down and back up a rope.The previous record had been 42 metres, but she lowered the mark to 50 metres in the black and cold waters of the Gullmarsfjord.She began the pool disciplines with a Dynamic No Fins record in which the diver swims breaststroke under water.Prinsloo destroyed the previous record of 78 metres by swimming 126 metres underwater. That new record places her among the top five women in the world for the discipline.Her third record came a day after the first two when Prinsloo broke her own Static Apnea mark by floating face down while holding her breath for an outstanding five minutes and 39 seconds.On the final day of the competition, competing in the Dynamic with Fins event, she bettered her own record of a dive of 129 metres while swimming underwater with a monofin.By adding another 21 metres to the old mark, she improved the record to 150 metres. Prinsloo now holds four of the six South African freediving records.She has been a freediving instructor for the past 10 years and teaches in a wide variety of locations, including in Cape Town, Umkomaas, Mozambique, Egypt, and Sweden.Prinsloo focuses on wildlife freediving, scouring the oceans for big fish and mammals, and freediving with whales, dolphins, sharks, and many other fish.The Nordic Deep 2008 Freediving Competition was her first big competition since the 2006 World Championships.SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publicationor on your website?See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Continue Reading