ONLY MAJOR HOSPITALS WILL TREAT EBOLA CASES – DR FERGUSON

first_img Recommended for you Related Items:Ebola, Hon. Dr. Fenton Ferguson, jamaica, major hospital, montego bay Two boys die, bicycle and van collide in St. Catherine, Jamaica Bahamas DPM Turnquest, as IDB Governor, Talks Technology and Climate Change Resilience at IDB Conclave Jamaica’s Senate Begins debate on National Identification and Registration Bill Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppMONTEGO BAY, Oct. 29 (JIS): Health Minister, Hon. Dr. Fenton Ferguson, said that only the major hospitals such as Cornwall Regional and Kingston Public will undertake the treatment of any suspected Ebola cases in Jamaica.He said isolation facilities at the other health facilities will only be used for “holding purposes”.“The whole idea is that the other hospitals…all of them should have an isolation area…that isolation area will be a holding area…not a treatment area because we have to be very clear about treatment versus holding area. In each region, you will have a dedicated ambulance…so it’s not going to be any ambulance that is going to move a suspected case,” Dr. Ferguson said. He was addressing members of the media today (October 29), following a tour of temporary Ebola isolation facilities at the Cornwall Regional Hospital in Montego Bay.The Health Minister informed that discussions are underway with the Jamaica Fire Brigade and the army for the movement of suspected Ebola victims.He said also that “we would want to, where possible, have holding areas established at the ports of calls because I think best practice will demand such action.”Work on the temporary isolation unit and triage unit at Cornwall Regional are being undertaken at an estimated $30 million and should be completed by mid-November.last_img read more

Continue Reading

TCI Illegal Immigrant Crackdown

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, August 15, 2017 – Providenciales – Many are in wait and see mode now that the Government’s deadline for illegal residents to be regularized or to leave the country is passed.    August 14 was the date given by the Ministry of Border Control and Employment and today, it is anticipated that enforcement of the edict begins through a Task Force.It had been reported but not confirmed that there has been a mass movement out of the country by Haitians, Dominicans, Jamaicans and North Americans following the announcement by the deputy premier in late July.    Magnetic Media also understands that first time work permits did try to squeeze through the approval process, after it was explained that applications in hand before August 14 would give those who were illegally here more time.However, the Governor approved a measure to reject first time work permit applications between August 7 and September 30.    And a 25-day freeze on TCI visas was approved, also until September 30 with a new protocol for the TCI Stop List policy implemented.    Observations so far today are that illegal jitney traffic, often run by suspected #illegalmigrants is decreased and it is believed the Task Force with Police and Immigration Officers is already mobilized. Related Items:#illegalmigrants, #magneticmedianews 39 Detained, following Police and Immigration sweep operation Recommended for youlast_img read more

Continue Reading

The Bahamas Government Commemorates 51 Years of Majority Rule

first_img Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, January 11, 2018 – Nassau – The Government of The Bahamas commemorated 51 years of Majority Rule, Wednesday (January 10) with a Church Service at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral, located on historic “Priory Grounds,” West Hill Street.The service was attended by Her Excellency Dame Marguerite Pindling, DCMG, along with Prime Minister, Dr. the Hon. Hubert A. Minnis, Deputy Prime Minister, the Hon. K. Peter Turnquest, Cabinet Ministers, Leader of the Official Opposition, the Hon. Philip Davis, other Members of Parliament in addition to senior government officials.   The service’s programme reflected the call for unity and oneness in appreciation of the sacrifices made to make Majority Rule a reality for The Bahamas.Religious leaders from various denominations joined Roman Catholic Vicar General, Father Kendrick Forbes, who served as the Chief Celebrant.  In his first Majority Rule Day National Address, Prime Minister Minnis declared that Majority Rule crosses all boundaries of party, economic class, race and gender.“This defining moment and historic accomplishment does not belong to any one political party or segment of our people,” Prime Minister Minnis said.“Majority Rule belongs to all Bahamians.  It crosses all boundaries of party, economic class race and gender.  We should celebrate this day as One Bahamas, as one people united in love and service to our Commonwealth.“As we celebrate 51 years of Majority Rule, we remember the core objectives of this movement – freedom, equality and democracy for all Bahamians.”Prime Minister Minnis said a series of “significant events” forever transformed the political and social landscape of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas leading up to Majority Rule on January 10, 1967.These included the Burma Road Riot in 1942, which the Prime Minister said was the beginning of a new political awareness in The Bahamas and the formation of the Progressive Liberal Party as the first national political party in 1953 with William “Bill” Cartwright playing a central role in the development of party politics.Prime Minister Minnis said Sir Etienne Dupuch’s anti-discrimination resolution in the House of Assembly in 1956, also played a critical role as it was the catalyst for dismantling racial segregation in public places.   Another significant event leading up to Majority Rule, the Prime Minister said, was the General Strike of 1958 “which resulted in much-needed changes to the country’s labour laws and electoral representation.The Prime Minister said in the 1960s some of what he called “the worst aspects of the corrupt electoral system” were changed and universal and adult suffrage came to The Bahamas with women voting for the first time in 1962.“So it was that in 1967 the Bahamian people finally voted out the oligarchy and opened a new era of democratic government.  We call that day Majority Rule Day.  It is a day that should be celebrated by all Bahamians because, among other things, revolutionary but peaceful changes had come to The Bahamas.“A system that had to end one way or another ended in a peaceful and orderly manner and of that all Bahamians should be proud,” Dr. Minnis added.The Prime Minister said Majority Rule did more than just bring an end to a “patently unfair electoral system” that prevented the majority of Bahamians from achieving true representation in the House of Assembly until  January 10, 1967.“In the words of former Governor-General Sir Arthur Foulkes, one of those who served in the forefront of the movement for equality and social justice: ‘Majority Rule removed the last psychological shackles from the minds of many.  I shattered false notions of superiority and inferiority; it initiated the fulfillment of the promise of universal access to education; it created the foundation upon which to build a society with opportunities for all.’“As we honour this special day in our history, we must also honour the many men and women who sacrificed and struggled to make this day possible,” Prime Minister Minnis said.“Through their words the spoke for those who could not speak for themselves. Through their actions, they gave courage to the fearful. Through their legacy, these patriots serve as an inspiration for the nation, including for our children and young people,” Prime Minister Minnis added.By: Matt Maura (BIS)Photo Caption:  Prime Minister Minnis reads the Lesson at the Ecumenical Service Commemorating the 51st. Anniversary of Majority Rule at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral on January 10, 2018.(BIS Photo/Letisha Henderson) Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Continue Reading

Mancini Ive done my best for Balotelli

first_imgItaly manager Roberto Mancini’s patience with Mario Balotelli appears to be diminishing, amid his current struggles in front of goalThe 28-year-old forward hasn’t found the net once this season for OGC Nice in 10 Ligue 1 games following a failed transfer to Marseille in the summer.In light of this, Nice manager Patrick Vieira granted Balotelli some extra time off to decide where his future lies once and for all.But Mancini, who gave Balotelli his Serie A debut at Inter Milan in 2007 and later brought him over to Manchester City, admits his time with the national team could be over unless he returns to form.After a four-year absence, Mancini recalled Balotelli for Italy in June and played him three times before omitting him in their last five games.“I’ve done my best for him and I always hope something good happens to him. He’ll only return to the national team if he deserves it,” Mancini told Corriere dello Sport.Mario BalotelliCorini tells Balotelli to “raise his game” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 According to the Brescia coach, Mario Balotelli “needs to raise his game if he wants to face Juventus” as his team is set to host Bologna.“As a young lad he gave me so much, both at Inter and in Manchester, but he’s given me very little in recent months.“Still, he’s 28 and he has time if he wants. The Euros and World Cup should be fatal attractions for him.“The European qualifiers begin in March. If we’re in trouble and he keeps scoring one or two goals per game then I’ll call him up.“However, he must know that he won’t be a part of our future due to his age. It’s a principle that applies to everyone.”Balotelli has managed 14 goals and four assists in 36 appearances for Italy at international level.last_img read more

Continue Reading