SAN FRANCISCO – Pelosi slams Facebook for not removing altered video

first_imgHomeBriefsSAN FRANCISCO – Pelosi slams Facebook for not removing altered video May. 30, 2019 at 4:40 amBriefsGovernmentNewsPoliticstechnologySAN FRANCISCO – Pelosi slams Facebook for not removing altered videonews2 years agoAnderson CooperCNNfacebookMonika Bickertnancy pelosi House Speaker Nancy Pelosi slammed Facebook on Wednesday for not removing a doctored video that has spread widely on the social network in which she appears to slur her words.The altered video had been slowed down , giving the false appearance that Pelosi was drunk, ill or otherwise impaired. Facebook did not respond to messages seeking comment.In an interview last week with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, Facebook’s Head of Product Policy and Counterterrorism Monika Bickert defended the company’s decision , noting that users are being told that the video is false when they view or share it.Pelosi said in San Francisco that she is no longer giving Facebook the benefit of doubt that it is “unwittingly” spreading false information. She said Facebook is serving an accomplice and enabler of false information and Russian elections interference.Facebook does not prohibit false information from being shared on its service. Instead, the company says it “downranks” such material to make it less prominent in people’s news feeds and more difficult to find. It also employs outside fact-checkers, including The Associated Press, to determine the veracity of questionable material. It includes such fact checks around the disputed articles and videos but does not directly label them as false.Tech industry trade group NetChoice, whose members include Facebook, called Pelosi’s comments “hyperbole” that makes it hard to identify the “real bad actors.”Associated PressTags :Anderson CooperCNNfacebookMonika Bickertnancy pelosishare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentLOS ANGELES – Alex Trebek shares ‘mind-boggling’ pancreatic cancer updateCalifornia Assembly backsbill to deter shootings by policeYou Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall8 hours agoBriefsLos Angeles Sheriff’s deputy accused of destroying evidence of 2019 assaultAssociated Press12 hours agoBriefsCalifornia State Treasurer Fiona Ma to Speak at Online Santa Monica College Commencement Ceremony June 25Guest Author12 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson19 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter19 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor19 hours agolast_img read more

Continue Reading

Environmental Coalition Challenges Rock Creek Mine Water Permit

first_imgA coalition of environmental groups is challenging the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation’s proposed decision to issue a water permit to the company hoping to build a massive copper and silver mine near Noxon.The coalition, including the Clark Fork Coalition, Rock Creek Alliance, Earthworks and the Montana Environmental Information Center, has alleged that the Hecla Mining Company’s Rock Creek Mine would dewater streams within the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness. The nonprofit environmental law firm Earthjustice represents the groups.The formal objection was filed with the DNRC on Sept. 6.“This permit would give the Rock Creek Mine a free pass to permanently damage wilderness streams that belong to all Montanans and provide cold, clean water for threatened bull trout and other native fish,” said Earthjustice attorney Katherine O’Brien. “Fortunately, Montana law protects our wilderness waters from the degradation the mine would inflict. By challenging DNRC’s proposed decision, we are seeking to hold the agency and the mine accountable to what the law requires.”But mine officials counter that the proposed Rock Creek Mine has been extensively studied and would not have a detrimental impact on the environment.ASARCO LLC first proposed building the Rock Creek Mine in the 1980s. The proposed mine was sold to the Sterling Mine Company and then to the Revett Mining Company in the early 2000s, which also owned and operated the Troy Mine. In 2015, Hecla acquired Revett and vowed to push the Rock Creek permitting over the finish line.If completed, the mine could produce 6 million ounces of silver and 50 million pounds of copper annually.The U.S. Forest Service first permitted the Rock Creek Mine in 2001, but it was later challenged in court over concerns about the impact to the wilderness above ground. Earlier this year, the Forest Service issued a draft environmental impact statement, and officials expect a record of decision to be issued in 2017. Most of the state permits for the project were issued a decade ago and remain in effect.Environmentalists have also raised concerns about the cumulative effects of two mines operating under the Cabinets — closer to Libby, Mines Management has spent more than a decade permitting and developing the Montanore Mine, which hasn’t yet opened.Conservationists like Mary Costello of the Rock Creek Alliance have said in the past that turning the Cabinets area into an industrial zone goes against the core of wilderness protections.“When Congress designated the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness in 1964, it was to protect not only the land, but the vast number of stunning alpine lakes and streams that can be found within its borders,” she said. “To give our precious alpine waters to a mining company would be a travesty.”Hecla’s Vice President of External Affairs Luke Russell said both state and federal officials have studied the mines extensively and that their data proves that wilderness streams would not be dewatered.“There is ample water available and the mine will not have an adverse impact on the environment,” he said.While environmental groups were challenging the Rock Creek Mine, Mines Management shareholders were expected to vote this week on whether or not to sell the company to Hecla. The merger would consolidate all of Northwest Montana’s proposed mines into one company. In the proposed merger, announced in May, each share of Mines Management will be exchanged for 0.2218 of a common share of Hecla. The deal is expected to be worth nearly $30 million. Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup. Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox. Emaillast_img read more

Continue Reading

Five Wounded in Shooting at Gathering of Young People in Philadelphia

first_imgPolice said the victims ranged in age from 16 to 26 and all were listed in stable condition. PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Gunfire at a gathering of more than 200 mostly young people in north Philadelphia wounded five people, including a 16-year-old, as police said officers came under fire in one of a number of shootings across the city during another violent weekend. Just before 9:30 p.m. Friday, a 17-year-old youth was killed in north Philadelphia and nine other shootings with 10 victims total occurred before dawn. A 20-year-old man was shot shortly before 9:30 p.m. Saturday, south of the center of the city. Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said officers already in the area in anticipation of another event nearby saw what appeared to be a muzzle flash just after 11:30 p.m. Saturday and heard a “boom.” Almost simultaneously, she said, they heard gunshots from a different type of weapon. Violent weekend in the city A police spokesperson later said the gunfire began when officers responding to a report of a person with a gun were fired upon by several males. No officers returned fire and none were injured, police said. Ten .40-caliber rounds and 28 rounds from an AR-15 rifle were found at the scene, police said. Shortly before 3:30 a.m. Sunday in west Philadelphia, a man was shot 10 times and died at Penn Presbyterian Hospital, police said. Shortly before 5 a.m. Sunday, a 40-year-old man was shot inside a vehicle and was pronounced dead at the scene. A number of other people were shot and stabbed around the city, police said. Outlaw called another weekend of violence “disturbing” and “disheartening.” All contents © copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Hansom

first_imgSubscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe now for unlimited access Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletterslast_img read more

Continue Reading

African Union to train a thousand new police recruits in Somalia

African Union peacekeeping mission in Somalia (AMISOM) will train 1000 newly recruited police officers in South Somalia to assist in enhancing security in the nation, reports Xinhua.AMISOM statement said that of the a thousand police recruits, 600 will be from the Blete Weyne and the other 400 from Jowhar area both in the HirShabelle state in southern Somalia.“AMISOM will continue to lobby for more equipment and will renovate the police stations in order to ensure that the goals of the Somali Police Force (SPF) are achieved,” said Chikunguru Maxwell, AMISOM Police Coordinator of Reforms, Restructuring and Development.The training will involve practical work designed to deal with prevailing crimes in a post-conflict environment to ensure the police recruits can be more professional in keeping the people of Somalia safe and secure.The Deputy Police Commissioner of HirShabelle state, General Mohamed Abdi Bashir said although the police force was constrained by resources it is determined to deliver to the people of Somalia. read more

Continue Reading

Refugee Nation eyes Dominica for its mass refugee homing project

first_img Share Share Sharing is caring! Tweet 604 Views   2 commentscenter_img BusinessInternationalLocalNewsPrint Refugee Nation eyes Dominica for its mass refugee homing project by: By Priyanka MogulInternational Business Times – October 22, 2015 The low-populated Caribbean island of Dominica is one of the places that Jason Buzi hopes could house refugeesA crowd-funding campaign has been launched to raise $3bn (£1.94bn, €2.6bn) to buy an island to house the world’s refugee population. Millionaire Jason Buzi hopes to create a new country through the campaign, which he says “any refugee, from anywhere in the world, can call home”.The Refugee Nation project has set up campaigns on crowd-funding sites IndieGoGo and GoFundMe, with nearly $1,400 (£904, €1,233) raised across both platforms in less than a week. The project has set out a clear timeline of events running up to the establishment of a refugee nation in 2020 that would “accept any and all refugees and displaced people”.Speaking to IBTimes UK, Buzi said: “It was heartbreaking to see and read about the refugee crisis getting worse and worse, and no-one proposing any permanent solution. So I decided it was time to act.” He said that he originally had the idea for a refugee nation eight years ago, but that he hadn’t published his proposal until now.Real estate mogul Buzi hopes to include billionaires and governments in his fundraising plans for the new refugee country, which he says would host up to 60 million people. He said that billionaires and government officials would be the ones who “can make this idea a reality” and is encouraging them to purchase the land and persuade governments to be open to the idea of selling land for the purpose of the project.Buzi said that islands in the Caribbean and the South Pacific would be most ideal for the project as these regions are home to uninhabited islands and small countries. Another option is to buy an island that has a small population and that would be willing to let other people live there. He also spoke about modelling the new country on Singapore, calling the south-east Asian country a good “role model”.“In the Caribbean, one example is the island nation of Dominica,” Buzi told IBTimes UK. “It’s an island the size of Singapore with only 75,000 people. Singapore has over 5 million people. And by the way, Singapore is the wealthiest country by far in south-east Asia and is multi-racial and multi-religious.”The Refugee Nation project said that crowd-funding was the best way to raise awareness about the project, as well as raising funds at the same time. While the campaign has drawn criticism from some who think that the idea isn’t realistic, others have praised Buzi for the initiation. The millionaire hopes to “get more people talking about it” before they start campaigning for governments to get on board through petitions and letter-writing campaigns to members of congress.Buzi said: “If we could purchase a few islands for Refugee Nation, it would solve an urgent humanitarian crisis.”By Priyanka MogulInternational Business Times Sharelast_img read more

Continue Reading