Shipping company Siem Offshore has been awarded charter contracts for eight vessels for work across four continents.Namely, Siem said on Friday that it found work for four anchor handling tug supply (AHTS) vessels, two platform suppliers (PSVs), and two offshore subsea construction vessels (OSCVs).The Siem Aquamarine and Siem Topaz AHTS vessels will support BHP Billiton with its upcoming drilling work west of Australia. According to Siem, the firm period of the contract is 240 days.The second pair of AHTS vessels, the Siem Garnet and Siem Sapphire, were chartered by Gazprom for operations on its Sakhalin project for a firm period of 440 days.Siem Louisa and Siem Sasha PSVs will begin a firm contract for 290 days at the end of April on the west coast of Africa for an unnamed client.The two OSCVs, the Siem Marlin and Siem Spearfish, have already started their contracts. The Siem Marlin is on a 150 days charter in South America while the Siem Spearfish is on a 100 days charter in the Black Sea. Both are working for undisclosed clients.Offshore Energy Today Staff
NETHERLANDS: The Dutch government has concurred with the decision by national operator NS to cancel its contract with AnsaldoBreda for 16 V250 trainsets, Deputy Prime Minister Lodewijk Asscher confirmed on May 7.The findings of a review by NS had been presented to the cabinet by the State Secretary for Infrastructure & Environment Wilma Mansveld, and Asscher commented that ‘we cannot conclude differently than NS’. Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem said he expected NS to do ‘everything in its power’ to recover more than €180m paid towards the €336m contract signed in 2004.The recommendation by NS to abort the V250 deal follows a similar decision by Belgium’s SNCB, which announced on June 3 that it was cancelling its order for three trainsets.Since the trains were taken out of service on January 17, an NS task force headed by non-executive director Merel van Vroonhoven has been looking at both the technical condition of the V250s and alternative scenarios for the provision of cross-border services between the Netherlands and Belgium.NS President Bert Meerstadt, who has announced his intention to step down from October 1, said the company’s priority now was to mitigate the impact on passengers, in both the short and longer term. The task force has outlined a ‘palette’ of three options for discussion with national and local authorities, which van Vroonhoven said would be compatible with the 2015-25 Core Contract for operation of the national network agreed with the government at the end of 2011.As a short-term measure, NS plans to boost the interim service between Den Haag and Brussels from eight to 10 trains each way per day by the summer, and will discuss with SNCB the potential for a further increase to 16 train pairs as soon as possible. NS would also like to extend some services from Den Haag to Amsterdam, replicating the former Benelux service, but this would require timetable changes to free up sufficient paths, impacting on other routes including the Hanze Lijn between Amsterdam and Zwolle.Another option is to expand the interim service using HSL-Zuid, with trains from Brussels running alternately to Den Haag or Amsterdam. However, this would depend on the availability of suitable rolling stock.The taskforce has also suggested that the Amsterdam – Brussels Thalys service should be stepped up from nine to 11 trains/day each way. In the longer term, NS wants to see at least 22 high speed trains each way to and from Brussels, of which 10 would run beyond Brussels to serve Paris (Thalys) or London (Eurostar).NS and SNCB have been asked to firm up the service options by October 1, so that Mansveld can present them to parliament.Meanwhile, speaking at a hastily-convened press conference in Napoli, AnsaldoBreda director Maurizio Manfellotto described the Dutch and Belgian accusations as ‘baseless and unfounded’. The company insisted that many of the problems were down to normal ‘teething troubles’, and accused the operators of aggravating the damage by running the trains too fast in poor weather conditions. AnsaldoBreda has also threatened to sue the railways for the damage to its reputation.
Related Ute camp reportDay 13: Coach Kyle Whittingham called it a “very upbeat day” as the Utes held a two-hour morning practice with pleasant temperatures in the 60s before a big rainstorm rolled through just after practice ended.Standouts: The defense dominated the final 20 minutes and stopped the No. 1 offense at the goal line on three straight tries. Terrance Cain continues to look sharp in his backup quarterback role.Injuries: Freshman receiver Kenneth Scott hurt his ankle Thursday and joined a dozen others in the injury pit.Next up: Today will be the last day of two-a-days and Saturday will be the final scrimmage before regular afternoon practices next week. Utes plan practice days to minute
Five golfers shot 65s to lead a group of 46 qualifiers for this week’s Utah Open golf tournament at Oakridge Country Club.Local pros Devin Daniels and Alexander Theodore joined out-of-state pros Nick Latimer, James Drew and Tom Glissmeyer with the 7-under-par rounds at Glen Eagle Golf Course in Syracuse.Four golfers, Dusty Fielding, Blake Moore, Zenon Brown and Robert Fillmore each shot 66, while Christopher Peterson came in at 67. Amateurs Devon Purser, Kelton Hirsch and McCoy Willey joined Kurt Watkins and Steele DeWald at 68. A score of 73 was needed to qualify for the Open.The annual tournament, sponsored by Siegfried and Jensen, will be played Friday through Sunday at Oakridge.ROCKY MOUNTAIN OPEN: Sandy’s Dustin Pimm edged another Sandy golfer, Steve Schneiter at the Enstrom Rocky Mountain Open Sunday at Bookcliff Country Club in Colorado.Pimm, a 25-year-old former University of Utah golfer, won the $8,000 first prize after forcing a playoff on the final hole and won on the first playoff hole.SLC SENIOR AM: Former State Amateur champion Todd Barker captured the Salt Lake City Senior Amateur at Rose Park Golf Course, defeating David Cannon by four strokes with a 134 total. Brent Marriott was third at 139.email: [email protected]
Squad currently has 2-3-2 mark The Holmdel High School American Legion junior team is off to a 2-3-2 start for its summer schedule under coach Tony Fernicola. Sponsored by American Legion Post 321 of Union Beach, the Holmdel squad has generally played well and has been in every game, the coach noted. “This isn’t all about winning,” Fernicola said. “It’s about having fun and learning and giving our players the opportunity to work on things. The main thing is that we want to keep them playing baseball.” The Holmdel contingent is playing a 20- game schedule in the Monmouth County American Legion league. While Fernicola has an 18-man roster, he usually requests that only 12 players attend each game. “It’s summer and some of our guys are working or doing other things,” he explained. “That’s all right, but all of our guys will have a chance to play. What I don’t want to do is have guys sitting on the bench who won’t get into the game.” Although Holmdel has three losses, Fernicola said that pitching has been a strong suit. His team’s combined ERA is under three runs per game – a good mark by any measure. Lefty Paul Rabat, A.J. and Alex Castiglia, Anthony Patres, Jim Tully, who attends Christian Brothers Academy, and Paul Curran, who attends Colts Neck High School, have all performed well on the hill. At the plate, Tully, who has become the heart of the team, is batting .420, followed closely by Anthony Canzoneri, a St. John Vianney product, who is hitting .415. Infielder John Sieg has also hit the ball well and is at .389. Outfielder Danny Morelli is also over the .300 mark with a team-leading three round-trippers. “Overall we’ve been hitting the ball hard; unfortunately, of late it’s been right at people,” Fernicola said. “If we keep doing that, more balls will eventually drop. Right now I’m actually pretty happy with the way we’ve been swinging the bat.” Outfielder Joe Pomarico has been doing a good job of putting the ball in play and infielder/ outfielder Tom LaPorta has been finding ways to get on base where he can take advantage of his speed. The coach noted that Alex Castiglia has been a defensive force behind the plate throwing out the majority of runners who have tried to steal. Other members of the team include catcher Nick Solfaro, infielders Frank Strick, Matthew Fernicola, Chris Bosco and Paul Curran, along with outfielder Brock Gomez. While the bulk of the team consists of Holmdel players, Tully, attends CBA; Canzoneri is at SJV; and Bosco, Curran and LaPorta attend Colts Neck. “While we’re all about learning, I have to say the team has also been very competitive,” Fernicola said. “We’ve been in every game and everyone has been working very hard. That’s all I can ask.” BY WARREN RAPPLEYEA Staff Writer